What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

Supported Independent Living is designed to help you live as independently as possible with enhanced support to complete daily tasks while empowering you to develop your skills.

SIL support are provided to you in your own home or in a shared and individual arrangement. Your Supported Independent Living budget will be determined by your needs.

What kind of support can I receive in my SIL home?

Here is a snapshot of some of the support you will receive from our experienced team:

  • Personal care
  • Travel & transportation
  • Household chores support
  • Assistance with shopping
  • Healthy meal preparation
  • Skill building training
  • Staying active
  • Participating in the community

How is SIL funded?

The SIL funding model is designed to cover the wages for your experienced care worker in providing you with quality holistic support along with covering indirect expenses to you. These costs can be shared with your housemates that share similar goals and needs.

Your approved SIL funding will be dependent on the quote that your service provider with design for you base on your specific care needs as well as the care needs of other housemates in your SIL home.

How much does SIL cost?

Brightside may charge up to 50% of the Disability Support Pension for household expenses including food and utilities. Rent will be up to 25% of the Disability Support Pension in addition to any Commonwealth Rent Assistance funding. You may be required to make a reasonable contribution on top of your funding to cover household costs, based on your individual needs and usage.

The daily support are delivered as per the approved NDIS Roster of Care and are fully funded by the NDIA in line with your NDIS Plan. The approved funding amount will depend on your individual needs and goals. These will be determined by you and our Brightside House Manager, who will create a Roster of Care to be submitted to the NDIA for approval.

Am I eligible for SIL?

SIL is best suited for participants who have high support needs. This means you require a significant amount of help throughout the day. If SIL is the most appropriate support for you, you will receive funding for this assistance as part of your NDIS plan.

The amount of SIL funding you receive will depend on the level and type of support you need to live as independently as you can.

How do I get SIL funding?

  • Call our friendly team on 1300 418 869
  • Meet with our SIL House Manager to discuss your specific needs
  • Your dedicated House Manager will work with you to identify your needs and develop a Roster of Care
  • Your proposed Roster of Care is submitted to the NDIA for approval
  • Once approved you will complete the relevant documents and sign a service agreement
  • The exciting part – you move in to your new SIL home and start living independently

What is not included in a SIL quote?

SIL funding can’t be used for things like rent or other day-to-day expenses like groceries.

What’s the difference between SDA & SIL?

Specialist Disability Accommodation is a contribution to the cost of accessible housing, whereas SIL is a support that allows people to receive help to live more independently at home.

Neither is a contribution to the cost of rent, as the NDIS considers this an everyday cost for all Australians. Most people that are eligible for SDA will also receive a SIL package.

What should I prepare for a SIL planning meeting?

During your planning meeting you should talk about what support you need at home and discuss whether SIL is suitable for you. Your planner will then assess if it is a support that is reasonable and necessary for your needs.

There are a number of things to consider when making this decision, including:

  • your individual circumstances and needs
  • your age (we fund SIL for people aged 18 and over)
  • your goals and preferences
  • your independence, living skills and capacity-building needs
  • if modifications to your home or assistive technology may increase your independence and safety
  • information, reports and assessments provided by you, health professionals and providers
  • if you need significant person-to-person support due to your disability support needs
  • other home and living options that might suit you
  • what is value for money.

The NDIS does not fund SIL in hospitals or if you are in prison.

Preparation is key. We may ask you to bring with you the following documents to help us prepare the best possible SIL plan for your needs and for you to achieve your goals.

  • Clinical assessments and reports
  • Behaviour support plans or assessments
  • Psychology assessment or report
  • Speech &/or OT recommendations, assessments & reports
  • Incident reports
  • Police reports
  • Risk assessment
  • Standardised evidence-based assessments
  • Statements from previous landlords &/or service providers